Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Happy Anniversary Jimmy and Rosalynn

Only one tenth of one per cent of American couples have been married for seventy years.

The other day when I was on a plane I read an article in my New Yorker magazine about Jimmy and Rosalynn Carter celebrating their seventieth wedding anniversary.

When Jimmy (and I call him that with deep affection) was interviewed about this he said, "I hope we make it.  We still got a couple of weeks to go."  I totally understand his concern, since they are now in a tiny minority of couples.
Another couple I admire,
George and Barbara, have
been married 71 years.

However, I think we'll have the Carters around for a while.  They are still spunky.  They still travel all over the world doing good and when they're in their Atlanta apartment they sleep on a Murphy bed that Jimmy pulls down without the help of the Secret Service.

The Carters have known each other since they were babies.  Jimmy's mom, Lillian, helped deliver Rosalynn.

In the article Jimmy let us know that they're not a perfect couple - but - at this stage, "Ninety per cent of our arguments are about hearing."

Dave and I can relate,  Jimmy.


***