Friday, May 20, 2016

Hereafter

The February issue of Vanity Fair (that I bought from the library for 25 cents) has a one page pie chart/article/poll on the afterlife.   I've often wondered what Vanity Fair folks think about the hereafter.

Here are a few of the questions and thoughtful answers:

 Which one of the following kinds of immortality would you most like to have?  The number one answer was "Doing something important that is remembered by history."  This sort of amazes me.
What do these people mean by "important?"  By the way, 9 percent said "Having lots of descendants.  I don't get that answer either.

 Which things would you most like being named for you after you die?"  Most of the respondents said descendants. I actually have this covered.  Three of my grandchildren have been given my name.  But when I read the question I was thinking more like a cancer clinic or a university in Africa - but that's just me.

Which are you better prepared for - retirement or death?  Both received about the same number of votes.  But it's pretty clear that most Americans aren't much prepared for either one.

Do you think science will someday prove whether the afterlife exists.  30 percent said yes.  67 per cent said no.  I think, in my lifetime anyway, we'll just have to keep the faith.

Most people who have had a near-death experience report having seen loved ones, God or heaven.   27 percent of the respondents said these people are delusional.  But a whooping 63 percent said they've had a real glimpse of the afterlife.  This pleasantly surprises me about Vanity Fair readers.

To whom or what would you send someone trying to find out what life after death might look like?" 61 percent said a religious figure.  But one response option was a New Yorker cartoon!

And finally:

If you could be reincarnated...which of the following would you choose?  34 percent said their own grandchild.  (What?) But a close second was "A healthy dog with loving owners."

So there you have it folks.  These questions will make for exciting dinner conversation tonight.


***