Thursday, January 14, 2016

The Intern

Dave and I saw this film last week at the dollar theater.  We missed it first time around because it had mixed reviews - and I don't like seeing Robert De Niro play a jerk like he did in those awful Fockers movies.

But I thoroughly enjoyed The Intern for other reasons.  We oldies are being encouraged to work well into our 70s.  Some of us need to for financial reasons but the sad truth is, once you quit or lose a job after age 60 it is almost impossible to be hired again - no matter how qualified your are. There is tremendous elder bias despite the fact that seniors have been proven to be more reliable, take less sick days, and be respectful of their bosses.

So this movie, even though it's a fantasy in some ways, does a good job of pointing out the gifts and skills of many older folks.

Robert De Niro is just about perfect as Ann Hathaway's 70 year old intern, Ben.  He's a former executive with a servant mentality.  I know several folks like this.  One is a retired doctor and admiral in the Navy who goes to my church.  He works well in groups because he understands the chain of command - and has a servant's heart.

I hope you see The Intern and I hope it makes you appreciate and respect the older people in your life.  The least thing it will do is make you laugh - and maybe make you cry a little.


***