Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Question Everything

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd. - Voltaire

When my kids were growing up I encouraged them to question everything.  When I was a little kid I was a mess of insecurity.  Long before I knew that I was smart I liked to raise my hand in class.  But then I had a teacher who would say, when asking a question, "Who knows and knows that he knows?"  I quit raising my hand.  First off, you obviously needed to be a boy to answer the question and you needed to know-for-certain.

Currently, I'm reading a devotional called Between the Dark and the Daylight - Embracing the Contradictions of Life.  It's written by one of my very favorite writers, Joan Chittister - who is an internationally acclaimed writer, a spirituality director, a former advisor to the United Nations and a Benedictine (cloistered) nun.

Joan's chapter today was on certainty and doubt and it hit me right between the eyes.  Here are a few things Joan reminded me we were once certain about:


  • The earth is flat
  • The sun revolves around the earth
  • Black people have low I.Q,s
  • Women have low I.Q.s
  • Bloodletting is curative.
  • Human beings cannot fly.
  • Deaf people are also dumb.
  • Cigarettes are good for you. 


And she says this:  Doubt is what shakes our arrogance and makes us look again at what we have never really looked at before.  Without doubt there is little room for faith in anything. 

I talked to my daughter on the phone this morning. She, on behalf of students and teachers, is questioning some things in her school system.  I am proud.


***