Sunday, January 10, 2016

Does God Control the Weather?

This morning in Forum we had an excellent discussion on global warming.  We discussed facts and opinions.  But our main focus was spiritual.

Does God control the weather or does God expect us to take some responsibility?  We heard lots of interesting and different - but respectful - ideas.  I was kind of surprised when my good friend talked about her grandfather and his brothers coming to Florida in 1912 as pioneers and then she ended up by saying that, by subduing the wilderness, they were a part of messing up the Everglades.

Since the International Climate Change Convention in Paris a while back there has been much controversy across the country about what, if anything, we should be doing to save our fragile planet.

In today's Parade Magazine, which comes with many Sunday newspapers across the country, there is a "puff piece" about Leonardo DiCaprio, who is one of a handful of the most successful actors on our fragile planet.  While the article is mostly about his films, I know that Mr. DiCaprio is deeply concerned about, and works hard on,  climate change issues.  And, while he doesn't come off (especially in his movies) as a deeply spiritual guy,  I liked what I read this morning.

Dotson Rader, Parade:  You're famous and rich, you can have all the women you want, do whatever you like, and instead you decide you're going to concern yourself about the fires killing orangutans in Indonesia.  Why?

Leonardo DiCaprio:  Because the idea of pursuing material objects your whole life is absolutely soulless.  Steve Jobs sat on his deathbed talking about how greed and wealth is the root problem of everything.  I believe that too.  My career has given me so much from a material standpoint.  I feel that I absolutely need to give back in whatever capacity I can.  It's my moral obligation. 


***