Saturday, January 23, 2016

Adult Coloring Books

I wish I was a futurist; one of those people who can project the next big thing.  Who would ever have thought it would be coloring books for adults?  How popular are they?

  • This month adult coloring books took up the top 10 spots on the New York Times best-selling list of games and activities.
  • Libraries across the country are holding adult coloring programs in response to the spike in interest.  
  • They're in three different sections of my Barnes and Noble store.

A couple of days ago  I bought a coloring book.  Dave was confused.

 "Why?" he said.

 "Because I understand it is calming" says I.

Dave doesn't understand the need because he is the calmest person I know.

I bought this Secret Paris book.  It says "Color Your Way to Calm" right there on the cover.  Since Dave has been doing art for decades I decided to try several of his art pencils, crayons and chalk.  I discovered they're not for me.  I'm not trying to do art.  I'm trying to relax.  So today I bought markers.  Big, bold, wet colors that go on fast.

We'll see if there's something to this for me.  My friend used a coloring book while she was on chemo and enjoyed it.  And with millions of adults now coloring there has to be something good going on.

I wonder if it will take the place of Zanax.


***