Tuesday, January 5, 2016

How Much Are These Ear Drops?

We've seen some interesting stories in the last few weeks about overpriced drugs. Especially the one about Turing Pharmaceuticals owner Marten Shkreli buying a drug and then, overnight,  raising the price from $13.50 per pill to $750.00 per pill.

So when I went to Walgreen's this morning to pick up my prescription I didn't have a heart attack or anything when I was charged $223.99 for this 7.5 ml bottle of ear drops.  By the way, 7.l ml = 1 1/2 teaspoon.

How did I feel about paying this drug bill?  Well, my insurance picked up $113.99 so I paid only $110.00 out of pocket.  So I was (and still am) feeling fortunate and blessed that I can afford this particular medicine.

But I've spent the afternoon thinking about all of those folks who can't.  The first thing listed for the use of this medicine is:  ...used to treat inner ear infections in children who have tubes in the ear.

There's not much sadder than a little kid with an ear ache.  Some of my children had tubes in their ears for a time.  I don't remember paying an exorbitant amount for antibiotics - and if the meds had cost this much it would have been hard to come up with this kind of cash.

So, to all of the parents of children out there who can't afford these medicines, I hope you find help soon and that you do whatever you can to get the proper meds.  Unfortunately I didn't have them  when I was a kid - and that's why I've spent my life with serious ear problems.


***