Tuesday, April 7, 2015

To Be Or Not

You know that I like to memorize great poems, including Psalms, from time to time.  But it's becoming more challenging.  A few weeks ago I decided to take on Hamlet's soliloquy.  It's tough.  Don't know that I'll succeed - but it's given me much to think about.

This guy, Hamlet, is wondering about what it's like on the other side.  He, like me, has some bad dreams.  What if dying turns out to be one long nightmare?

To sleep: perchance to dream: ay, there's the rub;
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come

What if eternity is just a rehash of all the ways I've messed up in this life?  Yikes.

Be all my sins remembered.

But I don't normally think this way.  I have faith that eternity will be sweet.  Although, as you know, I'm short on details.  But when I have those awful dreams I still wonder, until my heart quits racing, if this is what it would be like to be in a coma or to have serious dementia.  But it probably has more to do with what I had to eat.

***