Tuesday, April 28, 2015

The 100 Most Influential People in the World

Every year Time Magazine puts out their 100 Most Influential People in the World issue.  It came to our house a couple of weeks ago - and I've finally finished reading all 100 bios.

Titan, Kanye West
Why would it take so long?  Because I don't know most of the people.  This is either because Time Magazine got it wrong or because I've never heard of most of the most influential people in the world - and that's humbling.

They are in five categories.  So in this very special issue Time has five covers.   Interestingly, most of the bios are written by equally influential people.  Following is a little countdown of folks I've actually heard of and most of whom I admire (Except for the Titans - I have problems with most of them):

Pioneer, Misty Copeland
1.  TITANS - These are the ten richest, most powerful people in the world.  They include Kanye West, Loren Michaels (with bio by Jack Nicholson), The Koch Brothers, and Kim Kardashian (with bio by Martha Stewart.)

2.  PIONEERS - They include Astronaut Scott Kelly (with bio by John Glenn.)  Scott, as I hope you know, is going to spend a year in outer space to see, in part, how this changes the human body.  His identical twin brother Mark will stay here with us as part of the test.

Artist, Bradley Cooper
Other pioneers are Ballerina Misty Copeland, Neuroscientist, Rudolph Tanzi who is an Alzheimer's pioneer (with bio by Maria Shriver) and human rights activist, Bryan Stevenson (with bio by Serena Williams.)

Leader, Jorge Ramos (with
bio by Christiane Amanpour,
my career idol)
3.  ARTISTS - Actor Bradley Cooper made the cover (with bio by Oliver Platt.)  I loved him in the important mental health themed film "Sliver Linings Playbook."  Others on the list whom I admire are Julianna Moore and John Oliver.


4.  LEADERS - President Barack Obama, of course made the list.  And I was fascinated and frightened by the bio on Vladimir Putin.  I was not surprised to see Jeb Bush, my former governor on the list.  While I don't agree with some of his views, it is my opinion that he is the best of the Bushs.  And two of our world wide female heavy hitters, Angela Merkel and Hillary Clinton were
listed.

Icon, Ruth Bader Ginsburg
5.  ICONS  - Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg made the cover (with bio by Antonin Scalia)  and, of course, Pope Francis.  I totally don't understand how Taylor Swift and Ina Garten (The Barefoot Contessa) made the list.  But they did.

So there you have it.  Along with the others that make up a total of 100, these are the people who will shape our future.








***