Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Selma - the Movie

SELMA
I did not want to see "Selma."  I managed to avoid it when it was showing at the Regal and AMC theaters.  I knew, of course, I should see it, however I didn't want to.  But last month was the 50 year anniversary of the march so yesterday Dave and I went to our little neighborhood theater and saw "Selma."

I did not enjoy it.  It was painful clear through.

As you probably know, almost no African Americans were allowed to vote in some southern states in 1965.  It was an unsafe place to live for anybody who bucked the system.  In March of 1965 Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.,  led about 8,000 people on a 54 mile, 5 day march from Selma to Montgomery,  Alabama.  Prior to this walk many of the potential walkers were savagely beaten.  Some were beaten to death.

As a result of the march, President Lyndon Johnson signed into law the Voting Rights Act of 1965, a landmark piece of legislation.

If you're one of those people who wonders what all the fuss is about regarding Martin Luther King, Jr., this film shows the essence of the man.  It faithfully depicts his beliefs, his words, his strengths and his weaknesses.

The film "Selma" does an excellent job of telling us what happened.  I can understand why it was nominated for best picture at the Academy Awards.

 I did not want to see "Selma."  It met all of my expectations.  It was terrifying.  You would think it wouldn't be so hard after 50 years but this is the cover of the Time Magazine that came to my house yesterday.


***