Thursday, November 27, 2014

Thanks for My Promised Land


Fifty years ago  I lived on South West 1st Court, in Plantation,  Florida,  just west of Fort Lauderdale.   The address is important because there wasn't much west of 1st Court.  Further out was swamp land. Some folks were saying it wasn't livable, that if you built a house out there, it would sink.  Others were saying it's "The Promised Land."

And then one day the city of Plantation actually had a land grab.  Hundreds of people showed up to race for free lots.  You just had to grab the flag in the middle and it was yours!   We didn't participate because that wasn't the kind of Promised Land we were looking for.

My Promise Land has always been about relationships.   

One of my ministers, Reverend Jayne, preached a powerful sermon this Thanksgiving morning.   She talked about "The Promised Land."  Mostly about how difficult it was and is to get and to keep.

It was true for the Israelites and it's true for us.

Ferguson
Today, I'm thankful that, in some ways, I've reached my  personal Promised Land.  I have this great life with Dave and our abundant friends and family and  I still have important work to do.  

The work is hard because relationships are hard.  But, of course, there is ultimately the Promised Land.

When Jayne gave members of the congregation the opportunity to name what they're most grateful for today, two men named their wives.

That was my Dave and Jim Armstrong.  How cool is that?


***