Tuesday, November 18, 2014

A Circle of Wonen

Because we're living so much longer a new phenomena is taking place.  It's not all that unusual for women in their seventies to have mothers who are still living.  Two close friends (who are in their seventies) recently lost their moms.  One was in her late 90s and the other was 102.  It's been interesting to see how my friends have grieved over the loss of their moms that they've had for 70 plus years.

On our recent cruise we became friendly with a couple from south Florida.  Her mother had just died at age 99 and she was feeling some anger with her mom for "giving up" before she reached 100.   But we know that anger is a part of grieving.

We women need each other.  I lost my mom as a child but one of the best things in my life is women friends.  I don't know how I could cope without them.


One of these friends recently read the following to others of us.  I believe every word and I hope to have close women friends until the end.

A CIRCLE OF WOMEN

A circle of women can provide a container for emergence in a way that a woman alone, or even a one-to-one relationship cannot.  Intimate relationships and friendships can break or at least be greatly strained by life changes.  But from the combined wisdom and energy of a small group of women who are committed to hearing each other a continuity and trust can develop that can be relied on over the long term.  And, witnessing each person's direct knowing of her truth, we can be empowered to love our own.  


***