Friday, October 10, 2014

Heaven

Not really scientifically or
theologically sound
You may remember that two of my favorite theological questions are:

What do you think heaven will be like?
What would you like heaven to be like?

You pretty much have to be a believer of some sort to answer the first question.  Anybody can answer the second.

This morning a famous Floridan theologian, Dr James Harnish, came to speak at our church.  I've known Jim for several decades.  I don't know him well, but what I know is all good.  He started his presentation by saying that, like his audience, he's in the third phase of life.
  • 1.  You believe in Santa Clause
  • 2.  You are Santa Clause
  • 3.  You look like Santa Clause
For the record, while Jim and I are both in the third phase, neither of us will ever look like Santa Clause. In fact, Jim looks pretty much the same as he did the first time I met him.  Slim with a fancy bow tie.  

Anyway, he asked us to discuss this question:  

What on earth do you believe about heaven?

Hard to answer.  I have no details.  Jim said the descriptions of heaven in the Bible aren't meant to be taken literally.  They are for orientation.  I guess that's also true of descriptions folks who've been there and come back have given us, like the neurosurgeon, Dr. Eben Alexander who wrote "Proof of Heaven." 

The most provocative description I heard from Jim this morning was An end without an ending.  He also reminded us that we Methodists believe in  "going on to perfection."

I still don't have any clear, detailed answers.    Jim did say that the words to the hymn "Love Divine all Love's Excelling" are a clue.   Here are the first and last verses.  What do you think?

Love divine all loves excelling,
Joy of heaven, to earth come down;
Beautiful!  But I don't see this
as the mode of transportation.
fix in us they humble dwelling;
all thy faithful mercies crown!
Jesus thou art all compassion,
pure, unbounded love thou art;
visit us with they salvation, 
enter every trembling heart

Finish, then, thy new creation'
pure and spotless let us be.
Let us see thy great salvation
perfectly restored in thee;
changed from glory into glory,
till in heaven we take our place,
till we cast our crowns before thee,
Lost in wonder, love and praise. 

I'm pretty sure I'll never be pure and spotless in this life BUT, if Jesus is "all compassion," and I believe Jesus is, then I think I'm ok.  


***