Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Big Bang Dinner


Desserts
As you probably know, eating on a cruise is a big deal.  On the trip we just completed we ate either in the Lido or, usually in the evenings, the formal dining room.  It's over the top elegant.  Five courses, appetizer, soup, salad, entree, dessert.  With several choices in each category.

Or you can eat everything on the menu if you want.

But for Dave and me, by far, the best part of the fine dining experience is not what's on the table - but who's on the chairs.

Three nights ago we were seated with two other couples.  They turned out to be rocket scientists.  No kidding!  They live in the city of Ridgecrest, a town of 27,000 people located in the middle of California.  The town was started decades ago by the Naval Air Warfare Center  and is loaded with smart people.

We thoroughly enjoyed our evening with these folks.  So what does a rocket scientist do when he retires?  One of the guys plays the clarinet for the local symphony.

I asked him later on how he felt about the Big Bang Theory.  He was choosing his words carefully and then I realized it was because, first, he already knew I was interested in theology and didn't want to offend me and , second, he didn't think I could "get it" and didn't want to offend me.

 I stopped him and said, "Oh, I'm sorry.  I meant 'How do you feel about the TV show?"'

But I would have been agreeable to his ideas on the real big bang as well.  None other than Pope Francis has affirmed that the universe coming into being 13.07 billion years ago..."confirms the creative intervention of God."


***