Saturday, December 28, 2013

Parenting Skills

I just spent several days at my daughter's house.  She has four kids, like I did.  I marvel at her patience.  She never loses her sense of humor no matter how many times she has to tell them to pick up their toys.

I hope she got this from me.  But I sort of doubt it.

I tried to be patient when my kids were little guys but projects and big messes abounded in our home and getting them to clean up was always challenging.

Once in a while I would fantasize about me being a sheriff, complete with gun and holster.  In this fantasy, after about a dozen times of me saying "clean your room," I would take the six shooter from my holster and say "You, pick up those clothes."  "You brush your teeth."  "And you, you don't even live here, go home."  And in the fantasy they would do it because I was the sheriff and I was armed.

But, of course I never acted out this scenario.

Now, this morning, I read about a 26 year old former tattoo artist who, while in the car on Christmas day with her boyfriend and kids,  decided to stop the fighting in the backseat by pulling off the road, pulling out her .380 caliber handgun from her glove box and firing six rounds into the air.

She was arrested and her six kids are now in protective custody.

A number of issues could be debated in this story.  But here's the take away for me:  Most women fantasize from time to time - about a number of things.  The vast majority of these fantasies should never be acted upon.   And, of course, this woman needs an anger management class ASAP.


***