Wednesday, December 18, 2013

My Very Special Day

Today is my 75th birthday.  So far, it's been fantastic!  I've spent the past year kind of working up to it.  I was born on December 18, 1938.  I remember saving bacon grease in a jar on the stove during World War II.  I remember being in elementary school and listening to General MacArthur's "Old Soldiers Never Die" speech.

I was in Atlanta and South Florida in the 70s doing civil rights work that was so scary we could have been killed but back then we thought we were invincible.

I have lived a long, interesting and, dare I say looking back, impressive life.  I hope the planet has changed a wee bit for the good because I've been around.

I have four children of whom I'm enormously proud, ten grandchildren and one great grandchild.  I love my children's spouses.

I love and respect my brother like crazy.  Likewise his wife and daughter.  And now I share Dave's beautiful family.  All together our kids, spouses and grandkids number 27.

I have friends whom I love like crazy.  The closest ones keep me centered and sane.

I have important work.  I have a deep faith.

And, despite the fact that you are sick of hearing it, I am wildly in love with Dave.  I can honestly say that, after being here for 75  years, I am the happiest I've ever been.  I'm the most fulfilled I ever been.

And I have more to share.

My son shares my birthday.  Tonight, along with other family members, we'll have the ultimate celebration.  I say that even though I just came from a celebration.  Here is a photo taken at our last family get together in October.  That's Scott who is 51 today, and me (did I say I'm 75!)  In Scott's arm is his grandson and my great grandson, Max, who is zero years old.  (Dave's in the background.)

Life goes on.  I no longer feel invincible.  But I do know that there's much more to be done, much more life to be lived and loved.


***