Sunday, November 17, 2013

Danny Treanor

The first time I lived in Central Florida, in the 1970s, I was crazy about a skinny, young TV weather man named Danny Treanor.  Everybody was.  He was cute, entertaining and outrageously funny.  As it turns out, he was also drunk.  The station tried to force him into rehab but he thought "If I don't drink, I can't be funny."

As the years went by Danny did finally go into rehab but then he also got fired.  Of course the drinking took a terrible toll on his personal and professional life.  He worked selling time shares, as a substitute school teacher and as an I.D. checker at a bar.

Along the way he got sober.

Ten years ago he was rehired as a weatherman.  Only this time with local station Channel 13.  For the last 10  years he's entertained us all over again.  He's knowlageable about the weather, caring, mature - and funny.  He's full of self deprcating humor.

Last month, at age 68, Danny Treanor retired.  All of Central misses seeing him in our homes.  I, personally really, really miss you Danny.

By the way, Danny's been sober for 22 years.  He's a true hometown success story.


***