Friday, July 19, 2013

Summer at the Pool


Every Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings I go swimming.  Some of the time I don't really want to go.  I want to sit on the couch in my P.S.'s, reading and  listening to my Bose playing smooth jazz.  But there's a group of folks at the pool waiting for me.

The minute I step outside my front door I'm happy.  I walk to the pool under a canape of Live Oak trees.   It's glorious.

I love my swimming pool.  It's not mine exclusively - and that's a good thing.  Swimming is best with a group.

Every summer I meet a few new neighbors.  It's not easy to recognize them since we mostly see each other from the neck up and then we're all masked with baseball caps and sun glasses.  Sometimes when we see each other out and about or at a social gathering a person will say "I didn't recognize you with your clothes on!"

We don't really swim.  We do an hour or so of water exercises.  It's in three parts.  First a few minutes of stretching and aerobics. The second part, which is relatively new is designed to strengthen our fingers, hands, arms and upper body.  We sing while we do this set.

Take me out to the ball game!

The final third is done at the side of the pool, with more stretching and strengthening exercise.  All together, it's a fantastic workout.

And the time walking back and forth to the pool, not to mention in the pool is a treat for eyes.  I never cease to marvel at the stark contrast between the sky, trees and water.  And you know I'm not a nature girl.  By the time I get home I'm full of ideas and ready to hit the ground running.

It's fun.  And it's free.



***