Monday, July 29, 2013

Fruitvale Station

I did not want to see this movie.  But I went with Dave because he wanted to see it.

I knew that it was an excellent film about Oscar Grant, a 22 year old black man who was killed on New Year's eve, 2008, by a BART cop at the Fruitvale Station. I didn't want to see it because it's sad and depressing from start to finish.

Oscar's a complicated guy.  He sells pot, loves his family deeply, can't control his temper but makes his bed before leaving the apartment.

In other words, he is a three dimensional human being.

When I see a movie like "Fruitvale Station" I get very sad thinking about how far we have to go in helping each other be the best we can be.  But Fruitvale Station, the 2008 event, has been the catalyst for positive change.  I hope that "Fruitvale Station" the movie, helps move it along.


***