Saturday, July 20, 2013

Retired - but Extremely Dangerous 2


The action comedy for oldies, "RED2" opened yesterday.  Dave and I saw it last night. I loved the original  "RED" in 2010.  I loved, loved this sequel.  But what's not to love?  This movie is full of dead bodies, car crashes, explosions and so much more.

Yes, I usually hate these things.  But this movie is funny.  Very funny.  The body counts are funny.  The destruction of property (which really gets to me) is funny.

The elderly stars of the original "RED" are still at it.  Bruce Willis, age 58, and his love interest Mary Louise Parker, 48 still like each other.  By the way, Parker is the funniest of all and steals the movie.

John Malkovich, 59 is a sweet relationship counselor/lunatic and also makes quite a fashion statement.  I've admired him as an actor for decades and I don't think he's ever been better.  And I love his craggy face.
Great wardrobe

Helen Mirren, age 68 is, again, priceless.  You'll love seeing her chit chat on the phone while she fills the bathtub with acid in order to disintegrate the corpse of the man she's just killed.  And the scene where she shoots simultaneously out both sides of a moving car is way beyond cool.

The only true oldster is Anthony Hopkins, age 75.  We expect certain things from Mr. Hopkins and he doesn't disappoint.

"RED" is produced by DC Comics.  Think of it as a comic and you'll enjoy every minute.


***