Thursday, July 4, 2013

How I Learned to Relax and Stop Worrying About My Wheat Belly

1960
We had drinks last night with four very good friends.  The two women are beautiful and very health conscious.  As am I.  After reading the best seller "Wheat Belly" by cardiologist, Dr. William Davis, they're both on gluten free diets.

Dr. Davis gives a dire look at wheat, saying it's addictive, "ruins your life" and causes "desperate behavior."  Not to mention the Wheat Belly!

Opposite is a photo of me on my wedding day in 1960.  I weighed about 104 lbs.  I well remember being concerned about how my belly looked in this dress.  (Of course I should have been more concerned about the bow.)

But for the last few decades I've learned to love my belly.  It reminds me I've had four healthy children.  It reminds me of the long, interesting life I've led.

As I said, I'm very health conscious.  But if you've read this blog for a while you know I don't believe in diets.  I believe in a healthy lifestyle, including healthy eating habits.

2013
In a related story, we learned a while back that Monsanto (the largest producer of wheat in the country) invented an unapproved, genetically modified (zombie) wheat which they claim they later destroyed.  But now an Oregon farmer has discovered some of the wheat that somehow escaped from the lab.  Monsanto's in trouble, along with our other wheat farmers because countries, including Japan and South Korea, have postponed their wheat purchases.

However, Pulitzer Prize winning science journalist Laurie Garrett tells us that Monsanto's wheat (or, as Stephen Colbert calls it "Franenwheat") is harmless.

How do I feel about all this?  I had my annual 4th of July hot dog in the park today and loved it.  Can't wait for my weekly Saturday morning blueberry muffin and I continue to look forward to my one or two per week crunchy peanut butter fold overs.

My motto, along with the Apostle Paul, is "Moderation in all things."  Well not all things.  Let's just say most things.


***