Friday, April 26, 2013

Rat Temple

I have some friends who recently returned from a long trip to India.  And by long I mean, yes, they were gone a while but also they traveled to
many obscure Indian places.

Actually, she's the exotic, fearless traveler in the family.  And a fantastic and fearless foodie as well.. She's sort of our very own Anthony Bourdain.  She plans well and takes good care of her husband - who must have a great sense of humor about these trips.  I've known him longer than I've known her so I know she's encouraged him with his sense of humor and adventure, as well as other wonderful traits I never knew he had. He seems to be happy all the time.

She wrote a fantastic daily blog with lots of photos while on the trip so I got to go with them - from the comfort of my favorite place on my couch.

They were in such exotic places that the natives often wanted their pictures taken with my friends because seeing westerners was a rarity.

I'll share with you one of the more unusual places:  The Deshnok Rat Temple at Bkaner.  Yes, the rats are sacred.  And the white ones are extra special.  If you accidently (or on purpose) kill a rat you are required to replace it with a gold one.

The legend is that all of Karni Mata's (a female Hindu sage)
male children are reincarnated as - you guessed it - rats.  So they are treasured and there are sacred places in the temple where you can buy food for them.  And what's extra special is that, if you eat food they have nibbled on, you will be blessed.  Like maybe my friends could have shared this coconut with them.

So, thank you, Ann, for allowing me to be with you in words and photos but not in person.  I'm looking forward to our next big adventure.


***