Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Mother's Day

May12th, Mother's Day, will be here in a couple of weeks.  I won't see my kids this year because Dave and I will be traveling.  But I take Mother's Day seriously.  As we just learned last week in Boston, life can change forever in a heartbeat.



This is a photo of me and my mom.  A year or so after this was taken she gave birth to my little brother, Paul.  Shortly after that she got sick, was sent to a tuberculosis sanitarium, and, after seven years, in 1949, she died.  She was 34 years old.

I don't know much about her.  I wonder what she would have been like if she'd lived out her life.  I know she was a writer and dreamed of make a living at it.  I have several of her poems.  They're really all I know about what she thought and felt.

Here is one she wrote while she was in the sanitarium.  It's my favorite.

What goes into this frock that I'm sewing,
Besides a short skirt that leaves panties showing,

And a wee bit of ribbon and buttons and such,
And a small piece of lace - not much,

As I baste it and press it and turn in a seam,
With each careful stitch, I sew in a dream. 

                                   - Carmen Strange Riley

Happy Mother's Day, Carmen


***