Tuesday, April 9, 2013

College Week

Yesterday Dave and I, and several friends, toured Florida Southern College in Lakeland, Florida.  The Princeton Review voted the Florida Southern campus the most beautiful in the nation.

This, in my opinion, is due largely to its president, Ann Kerr.  She's a visionary.  Much of the campus was designed many years ago by Frank Lloyd Wright.  She's worked hard to restore the campus to its original beauty.

I always thought Mr. Wright's  low ceilings were due to the fact that he was short.  An ego thing.  Turns out it wasn't and he wasn't.  It was all about aesthetics.  He was at one with nature.

Three of my kids attended Florida Southern.  And the school has always been like Mecca for Florida Methodists.   I hung around the campus from time to time for about 40 years.

Dave took these photos yesterday.

Tomorrow we're going to look over the University of Florida campus in Gainesville.  U of F and Florida State University are huge rivals.  The last time I was on the U of F campus I saw three bumper stickers that said:  Your Momma Is Ugly and She Sent You To Florida State.  That had to be describing me and messaging my kids.  Two of them (I actually claim three) went to Florida State.

On Thursday we'll be on the Florida State University campus in Tallahassee, where, that evening, my son will be inducted into the Florida State Business School Hall of Fame.

Dave and I will try to behave ourselves.


***