Saturday, April 13, 2013

Bragging About Our Kids

Many years ago, when I was speaking before groups and somebody would compliment me on my super achieving children I would respond "Well, none of them are in jail."

I stopped saying that one day when it was made clear to me that, somewhere in most every audience, there is a parent who's child is in jail.

My friends and I are now at the age - and our children are at the age - where all sorts of things have happened.  We know how fragile life is.  We've seen death and divorce and bankruptcy.  Bragging is usually reserved for extraordinary acts of kindness or for something like "He actually came to see me!"

 The most important truth I came to appreciate early on was that many people have influenced my kids over the years.  I'm extraordinarily grateful to most of them.  Twenty to thirty years after leaving home my kids are still the most interesting people I know.  And that's saying something.

On Thursday night my younger son John was inducted into the Florida State University Business School Hall of Fame.  He's the youngest person to receive this honor.  It came about due to the efforts of scores of people.

Including his three siblings.

  • One of whom couldn't be there but sent him cuff links which he wore and held up for the crowd to see.
  • One of whom flew in on a private jet, stayed about an hour, flew out again - and is now in Bolivia. 
  • One of whom wore her Marilyn Monroe dress for the occasion. 

John thanked a number of people.  The first person was his high school speech teacher and debate coach, Dr. Koslow, who flew in for this event.  Here's a photo of me with Dr. Koslow.

I'd like to thank him, and every person who's ever helped shape my kids into who they've become.  There are hundreds of you out there. I hope you know who you are.


***