Monday, February 4, 2013

Water, Water Everywhere, But Not a Drop to Drink

Most of you know that the quote in the title above is from "The Rime of the Ancient Mariner."

The quote below is from the Sunday comic section of the paper.  Most of you know that that's where I currently get many of my science facts.

The water on our planet moves in a continuous system called the "water cycle."  Surface water is evaporated by the sun and rises into the air as water vapor.  The water vapor condenses and falls back to the Earth.  Eventually, the water will find its way back to the ocean and the entire process begins again.

But I already knew the above because I learned it in a college science class when I was about 30 years old.  While most of the class was looking bored and glassy eyed I was totally amazed.  Prior to that I'd never questioned where rain came from.  Outer space?

Our little planet in this vast universe has a big water problem.  There's plenty of it but most of it makes us sick and even kills us.  Diarrhea, caused by contaminated water, is still a big killer of babies world wide.

Sunday, after reading the quote above in the comics, I attended a mission lunch in my church.  I heard, again, the inspiring story about my church continuing to dig wells in Costa Rica.  It's saving lives.

I, myself, drink lots of water.  I drink it straight from the tap.  And almost every time I do I say a little prayer of thanks for clean water.

So please don't throw your leftover paint down the drain.


***