Monday, February 18, 2013

Cell Phone Etiquette

Here's what I know about a guy that I've seen only once, never spoken to, never read anything about, never heard about.

  • He's about 40 years old. 
  • He's just broken up with his girlfriend of 10 years. 
  • She's a very bad person.  (I have details if you want.)
  • He's Catholic. 
  • He had lunch last week at one of my favorite restaurants. 
  • He'd like his friend to ask his (insane) girlfriend out to get her off his back. 
I know all this, and much more, because I was in a medical waiting room and this guy was on his cell.  For 43 minutes.  And he was loud. 

When he hung up the young African American man sitting next to me whispered "Thank God.!"  I smiled at him and he said, "I can't believe he wants to palm her off on his friend."  As much as I didn't want to gossip I replied.  "You'd think he'd have figured this out in less than ten years."

And we, along with everybody else in the medical waiting room, were finally able to relax.


***