Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Academy Award Surprises

I didn't see much of the Oscars on Sunday night.  But here are some random thoughts anyway.

Seth McFarlane - He's received some negative press for pushing the bad taste envelope a bit but, on the other hand, they chose him to bring in younger viewers.  And he did that - in spades. And he's cute as the dickens.

ARGO - This was a big "best picture" surprise.  I loved the movie - mostly for its important historical value.  But Jimmy Carter says it's not totally accurate.  Ben Afleck's movie didn't give those Canadians enough credit.  Ben's had a spotty career but looks like he's now firmly on the A list.  Both as actor and director.

Jennifer Lawrence - I liked Silver Linings Playbook but was surprised Jennifer Lawrence won for best actress.  I was kind of rooting for that old lady in Amour.  She's 85.  How many more chances is she gonna get?

Best Foreign Film - At least Amour won for that.

BRAVE - Best animated film.  I don't care for animated films.  But I watched BRAVE with some of my grand kids and enjoyed it.  An important kid's film in that a girl was the hero  First time ever for a Disney movie.

Best Supporting Actor - What a surprise that Christoph Waltz won for Django Unchained.  I didn't see this because director Quentin Tarantino is usually just too brutal for me.    But I did see the 2009 Tarantino movie, Inglorious Bastards, with Christoph Waltz playing a Nazi.  I though it and he were fantastic.  And he's so good looking.  (You know how shallow I am that way.)

Best Dressed at the Oscars - Who would have thought that young Jennifer Lawrence would come out with true old timey Hollywood glamour?


***