Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Eating Well

Dave and I are healthy eaters.  Or try to be.  Today my friends and I were discussing how difficult that is, what with the experts changing their minds all the time about what's in and what's out.

Remember when eggs were the perfect food?  Then we were told they would clog our arteries.  Now they're perfect again.   Now it's whole wheat that will kill us.

We try to eat simple stuff.  One of our favorite dinners is roasted chicken breast, mashed potatoes and a green vegetable.  A while back I stumbled on to Idahoan Mashed Potatoes.  They come in a bag.  You put them in a pretty dish, add water, put it in the microwave for 3 minutes and Viola!  Fantastic mashed potatoes.  But I mix in about a tablespoon of lite sour cream.  Perfect mashed potatoes.  And they come in different flavors.  My favorite is garlic and herbs.

By the way, on the front of the package it says "Made with 100% REAL Idaho Potatoes Perfectly Blended with REAL Butter.  And here's the best part.  110 calories per serving.

What could possibly be wrong?

Well, the back of the package lists the ingredients.  Yikes!  30 to 40 ingredients.  Most of them unpronounceable.  I confess that we ate them for a year before I looked on the back.

But in my defense, they are GLUTEN FREE.



***