Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Shaping Up

When I thumb through my women's magazines in the evening while I'm relaxing with a glass of wine - the magazines I buy at my library for 25 cents - a huge portion of the  articles are about losing weight.   In fact, practically everything I read or see on TV emphasises losing weight.  And for good reason.  We are an overweight, unhealthy people.

For the most part. But certainly not all of us.

As you know,  Dave and I work hard to stay healthy.  While my weight seems to be comically redistributing itself, I've weighed approximately the same for 40 years.  But nobody wants to hear about that.  Most folks want a quick fix, not a life style change.

Florida Hospital has a "Living to a Healthy 100" initiative.  I'm interested in the healthy part.  I want to live to be a healthy old lady.  In body, mind and spirit. 

Fortunately I have friends, people around me, who are constant inspirations.  Folks who are far more disciplined than I am.  

Dave and I still go to the gym every other day, but this summer, since we're permanently in Florida, I've been able to get back with my lady friends here in my condo complex who do water aerobics every other day. 

We share the leadership, have fun and get a terrific 45 minute workout.  And it's free. We age from our 50s to our 80s.  And, as I said, above, these ladies inspire me.  That's one of the big secrets for getting and staying fit.

One of my swim buddies is also one of my Power Rangers.  We PRs had an exciting birthday lunch in a fun restaurant today.  She had a black bean burger.

I'm not that disciplined.


***