Saturday, July 7, 2012

It's a Way of Life

My life depends on engaging the most ordinary physical activities with the most exquisite attention I can give them.  In a world where faith is often construed as a way of thinking, bodily practices remind the world that faith is a way of life.    From "An Altar in the World" by Barbara Brown Taylor

This morning I was talking with old friends about traveling.  We were all familiar with mission trips   My church sends teams out all over the world.  My good friends are getting ready to go to Kenya on a medical mission team.  They're still at it.

I don't do that anymore.

But wherever I am, with whatever I'm doing, I try to stay in the moment.  I try to be fully present.  I try not to take myself too seriously but to take others very seriously.  I try to listen.

Dave feels somewhat the same but he wouldn't express it as I would, using Barbara Brown Taylor's words above.

Both Dave and I listened to many, many stories on our trip.  Told by folks from all over the world.  For instance, on the ship we were treated to an excellent show each and every evening.  Several nights we saw musicals in which there were two extremely tall, leggy dancers.   Most folks think that these entertainers live a glamorous life.  They don't.  Most folks think the entertainers have nothing to do but entertain.  Not true.

One afternoon we were on an excursion in Russia.  This tall young fresh faced woman in very casual, baggy clothing was with us, supposedly just a part of the tour but Dave noticed that she stayed behind, circled the group and kept an eye on everything.  Dave saw through her disguise and recognized her as one of the dancers.

He asked her, "Do you know what a Border Collie is?  That's your job today, isn't it?"

From there on, they had a nice relationship.  She would bring friends by to introduce us saying "This is the man who called me a dog."  But she was sweet and we shared in some meaningful ways what it means to be called and how hard it is to pursue your dreams, especially in the entertainment industry.

You don't necessarily have to be on a mission trip to love people around the world.


***