Tuesday, July 31, 2012

I Remember Tony Martin

When I was a kid I went to the movies twice a week.  On Saturdays my little brother and I mostly saw westerns.  But on special Sundays I saw MGM musicals.  What a fantasy world!  Beautiful people with rich voices.  Pure entertainment.  Most people, even older folks like me, would find them pretty corny now.

One of my favorite singers, Tony Martin, died today.  He wasn't much of an actor but he had classic good looks and was an iconic, romantic singer.

I was aware, at an extremely early age, that he was married to Alice Faye.  I remember being crushed and confused when they divorced a short time late.  Alice Faye went on to marry Phil Harris and they performed on Jack Benny's radio show, and then their own show for many years.

Tony Martin then married the dancer Cyd Charisse.  She was tall with extremely long legs.  One of the plot lines in the movie "The Band Wagon" was about (short) Fred Astaire refusing to dance with her.

Tony Martin and Cyd Charisse remained married for 60 years, until she died in 2008.  Tony died at age 98 and a friend was quoted as saying that he had his "butterscotch baritone" voice to the end.

I will always remember him singing one of my all time favorites, and one of very few songs that can make me cry.

 "Begin the Beguine."

***