Tuesday, July 10, 2012

My Hand Won't Open - Update

On March 8th I wrote a post about my hand condition.  It's called Dupuytren's Contracture.  After talking it over with local celebrity hand doctor, George White, we decided on needle aponeurotomy (NA.)  It's a minimally invasive procedure that's been done here in the U.S. since 2003.

The stuff on the Net says it's "relatively painless."

On July 3rd, I had the procedure.  All went well.  But it hurt.  When I took the bandages off I could see why.  There was a hole in my palm.  A week later it was still hurting and I couldn't sleep.  It's amazing what you think about in the middle of the night.

Three words:  Flesh Eating Bacteria.

I went to see Dr. White yesterday.  He told me I was treating it all wrong.  "I told you........"

In my defense, I'll have to use the Nora Ephron excuse "I Remember Nothing."  I asked Dave if the doctor talked with me after the surgery.  Of course, the answer was yes.  What I remember is:

1.  Going to sleep.
2.  Dave helping me get dressed to go home.

While I love that twilight sleep, it is always amnesia producing.

Basically, I had it bandaged way too much.  I explained to the doctor that I needed to do that because it hurt when I did the gardening or worked out at the gym.  He said, "don't go to the gym.  I don't want you to sweat."  I said, "I don't sweat."

While you and I know that I don't sweat, he wasn't buying it.  So I decided not to explain the water aerobics with a plastic, rubber banded glove on my hand.

I came home and did exactly what Dr. White told me to do.  Today it's all better.  The tear in my palm is totally normal.


And, as you can see by this photo Dave took 5 minutes ago, the operation was a total success.  Thanks, Dr. White.

***