Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Cruisin' Again

Do svidaniya - prounounced "duh-svee-dah-nee-ye" - means goodbye in Russian.  It literally means "Till the next meeting."

On Friday Dave and I are taking off for a cruise in the Baltic.  I know you think I have nothing but good times, and you're mostly right.  I can't believe the fantastic things I've done and places I've been with Dave.  I'm a lucky girl and I know it.

We'll take an overnight flight to London, then on to Dover where we'll board our ship.

On November 6, 2009, I wrote a blog posting called "The Wounded Healer."  It was about the Dutch priest Henri Nouwen and how he was so taken with a painting in the Hermitage Museum in Saint Petersburg, Russia that it changed his life in a profound way.

In a couple of weeks we'll be in that museum.  I can't wait to see the painting, along with thousands of others.  It's by Rembrandt and is called "The Return of the Prodigal Son."  It was acquired in 1766 by Catherine the Great for the royal palace in St. Petersburg.  Art historian Kenneth Clark described it as a picture which those who have seen the original ...may be forgiven for claiming as the greatest picture ever painted.

I wonder if it will affect me in any way like it did Henri Nouwen and those other folks.
I'll let you know.


***