Saturday, June 30, 2012

Nora Ephron 1941-2012

If you've read this blog for long you know I'm a big fan of Nora Ephron.

What we didn't have in common:

  • She had lots of men in her life.  I've had two. 
  • She enjoyed cooking and was fantastic at it  Me, not so much. 
  • She was world famous and wildly successful, with three Academy Award nominations. 

But, what we did have in common:

  • A tramautic childhood.
  • A sense of humor.
  • A passion for reading and writing.
  • A need to be real and transparent. 
  • Our ages.                                                  

Nora died this week.  The New York Times said in response to this news:  "Among the injustices about the death of Nora Ephron is that she isn't around to tell about it."

If she had been, maybe she would have been as upset as me that the TV kept running the fake organism scene from "When Harry Met Sally" all day long as if it was the only example of her work.

If you want an example, rent that movie.  She wrote the whole thing, you know. It's has some the best relationship dialogue ever.  But Nora was a successful and prolific writer, director, producer and blogger.  Much of it profound.  Most of it funny.

Here are some of my favorite Nora Ephron quotes:

Above all, be the heroine in your life, not the victim. 


I have made a lot of mistakes falling in love and regretted most of them, but never the potatoes that went with them. 


So much of what I see reminds me of something I read in a book, when shouldn't it be the other way around?


I don't think any day is worth living without thinking about what  you're going to eat at all times. 


Reading makes me feel like I've accomplished something, learned something, become a better person...


I look as young as a person can look given how old I am. 


***