Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Being Transparent

Just prior to Lent my minister told us folks in the pew that he would be sending a devotion out via e-mail to anybody who wanted to read it, each week, until Easter.  I thought he said each week but it turned out to be...every day!

Wait, this gets worse.  He's still sending it...every day!

At first I'd look at it and think, "I don't have time for this.  I know this stuff.  Knock it off already."  But now I read it daily, without fail.  I look forward to it.  He's doing the book of Luke.  So the first half is pure scripture.

It's amazing how actually reading (as Johnny Cash would say) "the words that Jesus said,"  every day can affect your world view.

It's not about how I need get to all the folks in my life shaped up, especially those who seriously get on my nerves.  In fact, yesterday the scripture was on "Judging."  We're not supposed to do it. Darn.

Today it's about transparency.  It's about who we are and what we say being in sinc.  I want to be a transparent person.  I think many of you around the country and the world who read this blog know who I am, even though I protect the privacy of my family and friends.  I think you'd be very surprised and angry if you learned that I'm a 30 year old obese, father of two with several x-wives, who refuses to pay alimony.    Don't worry.

Jesus says in Luke 6:45 ...for it is out of the abundance of the heart that the mouth speaks.

Dr Bob elaborates, Jesus wants us to think about what we say, the words we choose, our tones of voice.  It's out of our hearts that all that comes. 


I think this is excellent advice for every person on earth.  Especially me.


***