Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Ragtime

On June 1st, 2009 I wrote a blog post titled "Broadway Musicals."  In it I told you about how the musical "Ragtime" brought out so much emotion that I had to stop listening to the CD.

On Friday night Dave and I saw "Ragtime" at the University of Central Florida.  It was just about as good as the Broadway version...and more emotional.

"Ragtime" takes place at the turn of the 20th century.  It features three distinct groups:  Upper class New Rochelle suburbanites, who, for the most part, think life is perfect and should remain that way;  African Americans and Jewish Immigrants.

This time around I experienced the play through the lens of the Trayvon Martin/George Zimmerman tragedy in Sanford, Florida.  Orlando Sentinel columnist Darryl Owens conveyed my feelings perfectly in his Saturday column.  His daughter was in the play.  Here are some lyrics from "Ragtime" that reminded Owens... and me, that we're still struggling.

There was blood on the ground/She was only a girl/It will happen again/It will happen again/And again/And again.

Why does nobody care?//There is blood in the air!/We have voices and souls!/What is wrong with this country?/She was somebody's child!

Why should I turn the other cheek?/What about justice!

We are one with you/Now the world will know/There are Negroes out there/To make them listen!/We're all Coalhouse!

Let the new day dawn?Oh Lord, I pray,/We'll never get to heaven/Till we reach that day.


***