Sunday, March 20, 2011

Would You March in a Parade With an Atheist?

One of the new labels I see being put on folks these days is "Atheist."  They're supposed to be big enemies in the "them vs. us" wars.

A while back a person was telling me about this parade in Washington where they let anybody march - even atheists.

Here's the thing, I know, and occasionally hang out with, people whom I have no idea about their concept of God - or if they have one.   But they are good and decent people with many of the same needs I have, like feeding the poor.  We just come at it from different places.

Sometimes I'm honored by having friends be comfortable enough with me to tell me about their spiritual journeys.  And detours.  I certainly don't think any less of them.  Have you ever had doubts about your faith?  Have you ever felt, just for a minute maybe, like this whole universe was put together with silly glue?

Some firm believers and non believers I know are difficult to be with unless you're ready to buy exactly what they're selling.  Some folks I know are not where I am spiritually but they have other, very positive, values.  Values that I respect. 

So, in answer to the question "Would you march in a parade with an atheist?  I already have. And I would again.  Because, as a wise man once told me,

Every person God loves belongs to every person God loves


***