Tuesday, March 8, 2011

My Uncle Bob

My mother was one of 13 children.  I knew all but 2 of my aunts and uncles.  They were all good to me and my brother.  Don't know how we would have survived without them.

By the way, most of these aunts and uncles were really good looking, including my Uncle Bob.

My cousin, whom I've not seen in many years has written a remarkable story about my Uncle Bob.  In a nutshell, Uncle Bob fathered an out of wedlock child when he was a young man.  Now, 70 plus years later, a long time friend of my cousin told him that she is that child!

The story is much more complicated than that - in fact, with Uncle Bob having 12 siblings and them having multiple next generation children - you can't tell the players without a score card.

But, to me, it's an absolutely wonderful story about reconciliation and redemption.  Uncle Bob is long gone but this woman is his child and that makes her my first cousin as well.


***