Tuesday, March 8, 2011

How Important is Loneliness?

Lent starts tomorrow.  For some denominations it's not a big deal.  For the "High Church" folks - and Methodists - it is a big deal.

My understanding is that Lent (the six weeks prior to Easter) is a time for introspection. It's the time to think about relationships.  Christianity is a relationship religion.

How important are relationships?  Mostly because of the way I grew up, I've felt lonely much of my life. But I'm in good company.  Jesus had the same issue.

New York Times columnist, David Brooks, has written a new book called The Social Animal.  Here's a quote from Newsweek about the book:

...In essence, The Social Animal is a book about the human need for connection, friendship love...all of us are caught up in ..."the loneliness loop."  We yearn for "community"; we have "the urge to merge."  When two people are having an intense conversation, their breathing synchronizes; laughing together creates a feeling joy; soldiers drilling in unison experience a surge of power.  What drives us ultimately, is the need to be understood by others. 

I believe this.

One of my favorite writers, Jan Richardson, in her book "In the Sanctuary of Women," says that our three basic needs are for food, security and love. 

I believe this as well.


***