Friday, December 17, 2010

Two Attitudes

Yesterday when I was in the car I heard a snippet of conversation on one of those hateful talk shows. This one out of Atlanta. They were discussing being able to legally shoot people who inter your home and threaten your safety. I was "OK" with the discussion although I don't believe I would shoot a person for any reason whatsoever.

Then the host said that he thought it should be legal to shoot and kill robbers who are not a physical threat but just trying to get away with your stuff. I was a bit distressed by this.

Later in the afternoon, again in the car, I heard a snippet from NPR (my favorite station.) A man (the victim) was telling this story.

A robber accosted him on the sidewalk, in the snow, and took his wallet. As the robber was taking off the victim said, "Why don't you come into the restaurant and have supper with me. If you're going to be doing this all night you need to eat something."

Dumbfounded, the robber went with him. They talked. (I can't remember what they said but it was rich.) I do remember that the waiter, the owner and the busboy all came by the table to talk with the two men. The robber was impressed. When the bill came the victim told the robber that he didn't have any money since his wallet had been stolen.

So the robber paid the bill and then gave the victim back his wallet.

The victim thanked the robber, gave him $20, and they went their separate ways.

I don't know if I would, at my age, still have the courage to do the above - but I hope I would.


***