Thursday, December 9, 2010

Joy, Joy, Joy

I believe in the "perfectibility of human society" and have a confidence that humans can bring about the Kingdom of God. Heaven happens when people treat each other on earth as Jesus instructed - as brothers and sisters. - Reinhold Niebuhr

Last week I taught my Sunday school class. My two requests were:

Tell us about a time when you experienced a particular joy in your life.

Tell us about a time when you were aware of helping to provide joy to the lives of others.

Wow, what great responses ensued. The folks in my class are so positive and giving and open that the discussion was all that was needed to make my point.

One man said that he felt Joy the last time we fed the homeless together. I joked that, yeah, it is a joy except when you get stuck with serving the soup.

But I was just kidding. It's always a joy to help folks who need it.


***