Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Post Cards

A couple of postings ago I listed the "reality" for 18 year olds. One of the things I didn't mention was - they don't e-mail. Too slow.

Reading that reminded me of when I was a very little girl spending summers on a farm in southern Indiana. Before they had telephones in that remote area people used post cards for their "instant" communication.

If you wanted the neighbors to come for supper or the threshers to meet at a certain time you sent a post card. Most times the mailman didn't even go through the system, he just delivered it from one neighbor to another. (I realize that must have been breaking a federal law.)

Today, those old post cards can be found from time to time in antique stores around the country. Very nostalgic.

I'm not suggesting we need to go back to snail mail. But for now, e-mail is as fast as I want to go.


***