Tuesday, August 17, 2010

How Many Ears of Corn on Each Stock?







It's corn on the cob eating season. Minnesota has great corn. Who knew? I thought it all came from Zellwood.

Dave and I sometimes buy two ears of corn from the vegetable stand, bring it home, boil it up and eat it. For a snack. Yum, yum.

Dave has a really smart close friend of forty some years, who is, fortunately, now my friend as well.

How smart is he? There's a legend about him that he can play bridge and do the New York Times crossword at the same time!

A while back, on the golf course, this smart friend told Dave that a corn stock produces only one ear of corn.



What? Really? When little kids draw a corn stock they usually add about five ears. But that's not real proof so I felt it was my duty to do some actual research. Turns out it's not easy info to come by. However, I did find the answer so when I saw this friend at a delightful dinner party last night I felt obligated to share my findings.

He took it well.

From Wiki Answers:

Most sweet corn varieties will produce 2 - 4 ears per stalk, and one variety called a "six-shooter" produces 6 ears per stock.

However,

Genetically uniform field corn usually has only a single ear per stock.

So there you go.




***