Thursday, August 5, 2010

Inception

When I want you in my arms,
When I want you and all your charms,
Whenever I want you, all I have to do is dream,
Dream, dream, dream...

We all know that the movie "Inception" is about dreams. But not about the kind the Everly Brothers used to sing.

It's more like the dream you had the night you bought a pizza with pepperoni and anchovies and nobody else would eat it so you ate it all by yourself along with a glass of red wine and a couple of diet cokes and then after laying awake and moaning until 4:A.M. you took half an Ambien.

Not that I've ever done that!

"Inception" is a complicated movie about infiltrating people's deepest dreams thereby controlling their behavior.

It's not my kind of movie but I'm way in the minority. All of the critics love it and it's been #1 at the box office every weekend since it's release.

But if you're like me and you get bored with 20 minute sequences of no dialogue but just weird, manic (but sometimes beautiful) things blowing up, here are some alternative things to think about:
  • Tom Berenger has all at once become heavy and middle-aged but he still has those dreamy blue eyes.
  • Michael Cain was middle aged when he made "Alfie" in the 60s and now, 50 years later, he's still making a couple of movies a year - and he looks about the same.
  • Ellen Page still looks like Juno.
  • It's fun to see that kid from "Third Rock from the Sun," (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) transition into a fine and interesting looking adult actor.
  • What's up with Leonardo DiCaprio constantly loosing his wife and kids in his movies?

Don't worry about not understanding "Inception." The basic plot is pretty easy. But I wish there had been a diagram of a helix on the side of the screen with a blinking light for every time they switched dream layers.

Just a suggestion.

***