Sunday, August 22, 2010

Get Low

As you know, I've been doing some interesting reading and researching this summer about what heaven's like. What have I learned? Almost nothing.

And I plan to share this knowledge with my fantastic, smart Sunday school class when I get back to my Florida home.

One of the reasons we're thinking more about ultimate things is that so many of us are baby boomers or older and it's dawned on us that time is getting away from us.

On Friday afternoon Dave and I saw the movie "Get Low" with Robert Duvall playing a crotchety old hermit who's finally ready to face his past after closing himself off for 40 years.

This is a small, quiet (no car chases) independent movie. At 4:00 PM the theater it was 2/3 full. The vast majority of the audience was over 60 years old. That tells us something.

I loved this movie. So did Dave. I read somewhere that Duvall was too young to play this part but he'll be 80 this year. He was just right. All of the main actors, Bill Murray, Lucas Black, Sissy Spacek and the great Bill Cobbs were excellent.

If you want to see a visually beautiful, funny/sad movie about a man approaching death who's full of love, loss and sadness but riddled with guilt and seeking forgiveness...

See this one.


***