Saturday, November 28, 2009

Healing Books

A while back a friend told me that she'd just finished reading Elizabeth Berg's book, "Home Safe," and thought about me all the while she was reading it.

I'm not really an Elizabeth Berg fan because I'm not much for women's books but I read "Home Safe" on the plane ride to Minnesota. I could see why my friend thought of me. The woman in the book is a writer who goes a little crazy when her husband dies. She can't write and can't read and makes some weird decisions like trying to get a job at the mall.

I went a little crazy when my husband died.

Berg writes easy to read, healing books. When I wasn't able to read most anything I picked up "The Art of Mending" and found it really helpful. A play on words, the woman mended clothes while her life was mending.

There are several people in my life right now who need mending. I guess, in some respects, we all do.


***