Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Happy Calorie Day


I hope tomorrow is a wonderful day for you. Dave and I are going to eat with friends. We are giving thanks for so very many things this year. And we're thinking about those who don't have much to give thanks for.

As for the rest of us, we'll probably pig out. I read that the average Thanksgiving dinner is laden with about 2,200 calories. The Pilgrims and Indians ate around 540 calories.

Do you have a favorite stuffing or dressing? I won't be making my famous oyster dressing this year but I thought I'd share the recipe with you anyway. Everybody loves it - and what's not to love.

I'm just glad that it's too late for you to make it so I won't have to feel guilty about that extra six pounds around your middle.

Oyster Dressing

1 stick butter
2 cups chopped onions
2 cups chopped celery
1 loaf white bread
2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
1 teaspoon pepper
6 cans oysters with liquid
2 cups chicken bullion

Cut crusts from the bread and discard. Tear bread into small pieces. Set aside in large bowl for several days. Stir often to dry.

Melt butter in large skillet. Add onions and celery. Cook on low heat until soft. Pour contents of skillet into dried bread crumbs. Add poultry seasoning, pepper and oysters. Mix. Add chicken bullion until bread is soaked and dish is a bit soupy. Spray large casserole dish with Pam. Add mixture. Bake in 325 degree oven for two hours. Serves 10.



***