Friday, August 21, 2009

Proud to be a Woman

There was an election in Afghanistan yesterday. We don't yet know the outcome. The Taliban continues to be oppressive and voting is very, very dangerous.

Especially for women.

But they voted anyway. Following are some quotes from Afghan voters in this morning's Star Tribune.

(Photo by Saurabh Das)

In Kabul:
"I know the security situation of my country is not good, but I have made my decision to come and cast my vote anyway."

In Mazar-I-Sharif:
"I was so excited last night. All I could think about was today," said a 20 year old first time voter who cast her ballot for Abdullah.

In Kandahar:
"I was afraid to come and cast my vote. But my father encouraged me, 'Be brave, you are an Afghan woman, you should have faith. It is the hand of God.'"

As I read this I was so proud to be a woman who votes - and understands the importance of voting.


***