Wednesday, August 26, 2009

I'm In Trouble

There's a little story (actually called a parable) in the New Testament book of Matthew about a rich guy who leaves on a trip but before he goes he entrusts his money to three servants, expecting them to invest it well.

The bottom line is that the third servant is so scared that he buries the money in the ground. Needless to say he's in big trouble when the rich guy gets home.

Last May, shortly before I left home, my minister ended his sermon by inviting anybody who wanted to - to take away an envelope containing $25.00. Yes, there were hundreds of envelopes there for the taking. I don't remember his instructions but I do remember that they were pretty loose. Just do something creative.

He didn't mention the above parable.

He did suggest that if anybody wanted to share what they did with the $25.00 they could post it on the church website. Several people did. These stories were, of course, inspiring. And creative.

My envelope containing the $25.00 is still - buried in my purse!

All summer long I've thought that the perfect situation would arise. Once it did but I didn't have the money with me.

When I occasionally obsessed about it Dave suggested I put the money in the offering plate at the church we attend here in Minnesota - and just mark it for some special ministry. But I didn't want to.

Now I'm getting ready to go home with the $25.00 still on me!

I haven't even invested it. I could console myself by saying that the first part of the summer I would have lost some of it but now the market's doing well - so, no excuses.

Woe is me! What am I gonna do?


***